ELCA Daily Bible Reading

Matthew 18:1-5 (NRSV)

True greatness

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

Monday, November 1, 2010

So much widsom, so little time...

As usual this bible passage provides a huge volume of wisdom! So much so, I honestly can't write about each kernel of truth and knowledge here, and I'm pretty sure you're not here to read a novel. With that said, let's just focus on a few critical statements. They are:

  • In Christ we have also obtained an inheritance
  • having been destined according to the purpose [...] so that we, [...] might live for the praise of his glory. (typically I don't chop up verses, I'll explain in a bit)
  • In him you also, when you had heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation,
  • and had believed in him, were marked with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit
  • our inheritance toward redemption as God's own people
  • I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, and for this reason I do not cease to give thanks for you as I remember you in my prayers
  • God put this power to work in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the age to come.
  • the church, which is his body
Okay, so I know you're probably thinking, "Josh didn't really focus it down to just a few points, he pretty much just repeated the entire passage!" Ok, that is somewhat true, but each of these points is just soooooooo good. I guess it's like that favorite snack or candy we each have, we can never eat just one! So let's break these down!

God is the Father, Christ is the son. I am so blessed that both my parents are still living and still together. I know what is to be a son. I have also witnessed what my father experienced when he had to bear the duties of a son whose father passed away. An inheritance isn't always bundles of cash and lots of property. Sometimes, it's hard, back breaking, painful labor, some times it's wading through the muck and mess of a person's entire life. But what is the inheritance we get because of Christ through God our father? Well I think this inheritance is the best we can get. You see Christ has the promise to be with his father in heaven for eternity, and Christ decided to share that with us! Now as for the inheritance we got from father Adam and mother Eve, not so good; life on earth would be hard, going through lots of muck, and back breaking labor.

The more time I spend in this world, the more I am convinced that people are seeking true meaning for their lives. I think more and more people wonder, Why am I here? What is my purpose? Have you ever wondered about this? The reason I chopped up the bible passage in my second bullet point is because when you take out some of the words you get down to the clear, simple meaning. It is human destiny, it is our purpose, to praise and glorify the Lord. That's it. We should be living lives that fulfill a verse used at many baptisms, "Let your light so shine before others, that they may see your good works on earth, and glorify you Father in heaven". As the actor from the nationwide insurance might say, "Done!" There's your meaning friends, live lives that bring glory and praises to God our Father!

Besides seeking the meaning or purpose of life, we also seem to always want to know what truth is. What is really true? Well again, here it is, plain and simple, the concrete truth is the word of Christ, the gospel. As Luther might say, "This is most certainly True!"

Marked with the seal of the Holy Spirit? Remember your baptism...well maybe not because you may have been an infant, but if quick refresher, at your baptism you were marked with the sign of the cross and sealed with the Holy Spirit. It's always nice to be reminded of all the important things that happen at our Baptism!

Like Paul we should always remember to pray and thank God for the saints around us! It's easy to pray for those who really need help, healing, health, but how often do we neglect to pray and offer thanks for those who have been saints in our lives? These saints may be living or they may have come to life eternal, but Saints are always there with us! We are all surrounded by saints, people who have an intentional and unintentional positive impact on our faith; friends, neighbors, family, parents, coworkers, etc. By praying for them, it makes us aware of them, and then more aware of the Spirit's guidance, as the Spirit often works through the wisdom of those around us!

Real simple, God's the boss. The big boss, now and always. That's something that will never change! God's above all of us, and that's very good news. Christ is raised from the dead, as are each of us - even better news!

And a final reminder that the church is the body of Christ! Never hurts to hear that reminder! We are the body, because Christ is in each of us, therefore when we all come together as church, there is Christ's body! Pretty cool how that works!

Isn't it wonderful, overwhelming, amazing, and astounding how much wisdom God packs into one Bible passage. Like I said, there is just so much jam packed into here. Enjoy you day today and let's pray as Paul teaches us:

Dear God of my Lord Jesus Christ
I pray that you, the Father of glory, may give me a spirit of wisdom and revelation as I come to know you, so that, with the eyes of my heart enlightened, I may know what is the hope to which you have called me, what are the riches of your glorious inheritance among the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of your power for us who believe, according to the working of your great power. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment