ELCA Daily Bible Reading

Matthew 18:1-5 (NRSV)

True greatness

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Procrastination pays...what?! James 3 and Psalm 112

Okay so first of all, if you know me you know I tend to procrastinate - alot. For those of you who don't know me, I tend to procrastinate - alot. I put off of the things I should be doing now simply because in the back of my mind, I know I can do them later. Well in reality none of us really know that we have "later" who knows what can happen between now and then? Well God knows of course!

Most would say procrastination is a bad habit, and you know what I would agree. I think some of procrastination is laziness, and sometimes a lack of motivation. Despite the title of this blog I am not going to advocate procrastination, so if you're a fellow procrastinator, this blog won't provide you with a viable excuse. Sorry, maybe I'll find one for you later!

But what I will tell you is that the story I am about to share demonstrates that our God can work with exactly who we are right now. You see that's one of the things that's so cool about God. Despite out bad habits, our growing edges, our weaknesses, God can and DOES use right here, right now. No change required (though God does desire change!)

Let me share the story.

There is a group, a ministry, that I am involved with, on a volunteer basis that has been greatly frustrating to me. I don't want to go into a lot of details but what you need to know is this group is facing some challenges and some difficult circumstances, and I feel as though they are seeking "the easy way out". Often times you get out what you put in. I feel that by taking the easy way, we aren't doing it God's way, which I have taken a stand on. I don't disagree that there are relevant challenges facing this ministry, and some tough conversations need to be had, but I am standing firm that we need to have these conversations in a faithful, Godly kind of way. So where this ministry team and I disagree, is not what the conversation should be, but instead how we go about having that conversation.

This situation has been causing me to lose sleep and feel the weight of the world on shoulders, and has made me feel all alone. Some of the team members have even taken to attacking me personally. Tonight is a meeting of this team that can either go really well, or really really badly. I hope you will keep me, and this team in your prayers.

Now about the procrastinating part. I get a daily bible reading sent to my email every day. I'm not always great about reading them right then and there when I get them. So I had a few of these bible emails built up in my inbox. Today, the day of this meeting I am not looking forward to, was the same day I decided to catch up on my bible readings, and read these readings from James 3 and Psalm 112. I don't think I really need to explain why these passages helped me so much. But what I will say is that do you see how God came to me right where I am with EXACTLY what I needed?? God spoke directly to me through these passages. If I hadn't procrastinated I would have read these days and days ago and separately and I may not have heard God's word as clearly as I did by reading them today, all combined.

this is how God works. He knows me, he knows exactly what I needed to hear and he knew I'd get "busy" and put off hearing his word, and yet, God worked with those parameters and gave me what I needed. God does the same for YOU!

God didn't make me not read those scriptures, God didn't force this challenging situation to come up, but instead God worked through and within these circumstances to Love me and speak to me just as I needed. How awesome is a god that can do that? That god is THE GOD! the one and only, and GOD loves me, knows me, and provides for me exactly what I need.

We pray:
Holy God, you know me better than I know myself. You know my past, my present, and my future. You are THE GOD and you are my God. I love you Lord. Thank you for providing me with exactly what I need. I ask you to be there for everyone, as you are for me. Speak the words they need to hear, just as you have spoken so clearly to me, despite my short comings and my faults. Grant these things through your holy Son, Jesus Christ.
Amen

1 comment:

  1. Nice Joshy! I totally agree! God is awesome, and does speak to you when you need it! Good luck with the meeting! I'll be praying for you and the team!

    ReplyDelete