ELCA Daily Bible Reading

Matthew 18:1-5 (NRSV)

True greatness

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Selah?! (Psalm 24)

Newsflash- I am not a biblical scholar. I am not an expert in Hebrew, in fact, the language scares me, and I know little to NOTHING about it, except that our old testament (also known as Hebrew Scriptures) are/were originally in Hebrew, the language of Israel. So with that said - Selah. What the heck is this?

Speaking of not being scholarly, I checked out Selah on wikipedia. I know I can't use this source for 100% certain factual information, but lets face it, it is useful. I found a quick summary and several possible explanations on this word. What I gathered is that essentially it most likely means pause. Now some think that added to that "pause" would be a concept like...wait, ponder these words, or let anyone with eyes see, and anyone with ears hear. So there's your Hebrew snippet of the day. Selah? Selah!

So what should we stop and ponder. What is the word that's worth pausing for? I think this holiday season we could all use a little "Selah" in our lives. It's always hurry hurry hurry. Go see this family, go see that family. Do a years worth of catching up in 3 or 4 hours. Get out there to the stores early. Get in line! Buy the groceries, get the toys, send the cards, wrap the presents, buy the tree, decorate the tree, hang the lights...selah!!!!Pause. Stop and listen.

I love the great outdoors. I love spending time in God's amazing creation. I love hikes and walks and camping. I love the beauty of the forests, and the peace I find in those woods. Sometimes as I am moving around, crashing through the underbrush and leaves and sticks, I can hear nothing but my own sounds, but then when I pause, when I stop and listen, I enjoy the beauty of the SOUNDS I hear. Woods are never truly silent. There are birds, insects, other animals, and perhaps the sound of a stream near by, and finally there is always the wind moving through the leaves. This pause to me is selah. Stop crashing through life long enough to truly hear God around me. The forest is not all about me, it's all about God, just as our lives and world should be too.

Finally this Psalm does remind me that not only the peace and beauty of the woods belong to God, but my very being, body, and soul belong to the Lord as well. This season coming upon is not all about us, it's all about God. This holiday doesn't belong to us it belongs to God! The first statement about the earth belonging to God is probably just fine with us. We know the world was created by God, and was entrusted to us as caretakers (which on a side note we have been doing a pretty rotten job), but this earth is ultimately still God's. We know this and we accept it. But then let's take it a little further.

ALL that live in this world also belong to God...wait how comfortable are we with this. I mean think about some of the greatest movements in this country; the revolutionary war, women's suffrage, civil rights, the civil war, these movements or events were all about freedom from some sort of ownership. Whites can't own blacks! Men can't own women! Some don't own better rights than others. England doesn't own us! We are a country founded on freedom, so this concept of ownership should be a little uncomfortable for us. That's okay! You see God still gives us freedom to love him, to honor and glorify him, and to even acknowledge him, but never the less, he still owns us. And really, I wouldn't want to be owned by anyone BUT God.

So as the madness of this season begins tomorrow. Selah. Take a pause. Take a deep breath. Remember that you are God's. This season is God's. These holidays are God's. Be still, know peace, and spread love. All that have eyes see God, and all that have ears hear God. I promise you if you truly look and truly listen, and you stop crashing around, you will both see AND hear God all around you.

We pray;
Heavenly Peacemaker,
Selah. We pause to listen to you, to know you, and to hear you. We pray God that we might have the patience and love this holiday season to find you all around us. Grant us peace God not just this season but all year long. Let us know your love so that we might offer to those around us. Be with our families, our loved ones, and help us to remember that we are all yours. We belong to you Lord now and always!
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. This was the Luther quote of the day...

    Be thou comforted, little dog, Thou too in Resurrection shall have a little golden tail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing, Josh...I clicked "comment" in order to tell you that my dog's name is Selah, and then I read your own comment about Luther's quote for the day. What a doubly reassuring message for me!

    I actually named Selah such because she was abused as a pup and is very very very hesitant around anyone and anything. She just sits and sleeps a lot, and when she's not in her resting mode she's listening to every little squeak of noise she might hear. I also picked the name because I don't know Selah's past and why she is the way she is, much like we don't know what this word is or where it came from.

    Thanks for sharing! Pax, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete