ELCA Daily Bible Reading

Matthew 18:1-5 (NRSV)

True greatness

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Faith is what it takes...(Hebrews 11:1 7)

First, this reading comes from a few days ago- it's from Friday November 26th. The day after Thanksgiving. If you were concerned, I was incredibly sick that day, and to be honest I just got around to reading that day's bible passage (I am feeling all better now!). You see I get the daily passage emailed to me, and that message was sitting innocently unopened until today. The guidance of the Holy Spirit told me I needed to write on this one, so please indulge me!

Recently I had a conversation with one of my best friends who will be going to seminary next year. She's awesome and in a lot of ways we consider each other to be like a brother and sister. We try to talk at least once a week (though I'm not always good at keeping to that) but we just talked a few nights ago, and we got to talking about God, and scripture and what not, and as we were nearing the end of the convo she said to me, "I love my religion." That all got me to thinking (very dangerous I know). I told her to consider the notion that she loves her faith, and likes her religion. What? There's a difference?! Most definitely!

Ready for this... Faith is God made, and influenced by humans, whereas religion is Human made and influenced by God. See the difference comes from the creator. And so what is faith? Well we have it written right here in Hebrews. Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.To me, faith is more about belief and hope, while religion is more about structure, communal beliefs. Part of the Merriam Webster definition says religion is a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith. Christianity, Catholicism, Lutheranism, Judaism, Islam are all religions. God is not a religion (cause, principle, or system) and cannot be contained by any man made structure or system.

I don't want to be a pusher or religion, I want to be a pusher of faith! We read in this passage that faith pleases God. Faith for Noah, provided a means to salvation. I hear so many people say they don't go to church but they are spiritual...what does that even mean? Honestly I have no idea. I would much rather hear that they are faithful. That at least would please God. In this story let us recall that Faith provided salvation for Noah and his family. Faith can and does provide salvation for you too! Now I work at a church, a church that I love very much, and OF COURSE I would love for you to join me, but I'm going to be honest here ( and I can't believe I am going to say this) Just have faith! God doesn't order you to come to church, and neither do I, but God and I both urge you to activate and celebrate your faith. Now in the defense of attending a church, I do feel that your faith will be nourished, deepened, and strengthened at church. You will have a community of faithful brothers and sisters and that is very important for faith formation and development. But in the end it is faith alone, grace alone, word alone...sound familiar?

And so we pray,
Thank you so much for our faith God. We know it's enough. We pray that we might celebrate the gift of faith that you have given us in ways that might please you. Save us through our faith, your Grace, and your Word. We love you God, not as we should, but only as we are able. Surround us with those who seek to deepen our faith. In your Son's name we pray. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment