ELCA Daily Bible Reading

Matthew 18:1-5 (NRSV)

True greatness

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

Monday, December 13, 2010

God talks to me through Billy Joel -Awesomeness (Ezekiel 47:1-2)

I read this text several times, and honestly it still doesn't do much for me. I went to read all of Ezekiel 47, thinking this story wasn't complete...it was. I was hoping there was a continuation anything...to clear it up for me. I mean that's the honest truth. I am not inspired by it. I am not made aware of things I have done - right or wrong. I don't feel that it helps me to know God better.

My first thought upon reading the first paragraph was to go off on a tangent in regards to the four directions of the earth, north, south, east and west, but no, I can't even do that, because read carefully and you'll see lots of directions, but no west...apparently west is bad, like the left hand of God. (You know the sheep go to God's right hand ...the good hand apparently, and the goats, hell bound, go the left hand (See Matthew 25:33) and of course Jesus sits at the RIGHT hand of God, and as a lefty I find all this right handed focus this offensive.) So all of us in the western hemisphere should feel left out. Or not. So no tangent on the directions...

Well then the Spirit sent me another connection, this one in the form of an auditory connection. The song "River of Dreams" by Billy Joel came to mind. If you don't know the song, check it out here... (click me) I love this song and I love Billy Joel. Many of his songs make perfect sense, relationships, life, heartbreak, love, growing up, humanity; there are songs of his that speak to me about all these subjects. There is wisdom in many many of his songs, but this one, (and I love this song) doesn't mean much to me. I don't feel inspired really, or wiser, I just enjoy hearing it, and I think that's the way this passage is. It may not contain an inspirational message for us, and it may not be sage wisdom, but it's pretty to read. Lot's of detail, and very vivid. I can picture this river. It clearly (as Billy Joel says) starts as stream and ends in the ocean. So since the spirit sent me this song, let me share a few choice lines from this song.

+ From the mountains of faith
+ So I can finally find what I've been looking for
+ I go walking in my sleep through the valley of fear
+ I've been searching for something taken out of my soul, something I'd never lose, something somebody stole
+ But now I'm tired and I don't want to walk any more
+ Through the jungle of doubt
+ It can only be seen by the eyes of the blind
+ I'm not sure about a life after this, God knows I've never been a spiritual man
+ Baptized by the fire
+ I wade into the river that is runnin' through the promised land
+ Through the desert of truth

Do any of these stir up familiar bible passages for you? They sure do for me, I am reminded of faith that can move mountains, I am finding what i seek, yeah though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, what's been taken out of my soul - complete love for God, it has been overshadowed by sin, I didn't want to lose it but I was bound to sin, Jesus' burden is easy and his yoke is light, can this gift of grace really be mine? the lame shall walk and the blind shall see, I don't have all the answers, I'm not perfect, God knows that! one more powerful was coming, one would baptize with with fire and the spirit, wandering for 40 years before entering the promised land, a desert is a lonely place, knowing God's truth can be a lonely place.

Sometimes this is how God speaks to us in the bible. The message at first isn't clear at all, but don't give up! Open your hearts, open your minds, and open your eyes and ears. God always speaks his word to YOU through scripture (since it is the word of God) it just may not be in the way you think...maybe God will call forth a song, a painting, a memory, a movie, and will speak to you through other mediums...God can do that you know! He is kind of creative...(just small things, like the earth, the universe, 7-10 billion different people, you me...need I go on?)

And so we pray...
Creative God, you love us in so many different ways. We thank you for loving us in every way and in your perfect way. God you're always willing to speak to us, but so often we're not willing to listen to you. I pray God that when you speak to me, don't give up, keep speaking until I hear you, until I see you, and until I feel you. Come into my heart each and every day and help me find you in the craziest places. Help me to love as you have first loved. Your son's holy name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment